Want to stay connected, learn new hobbies, and organize events? Consider social media! Here are the top 3 social networks for retirees!
- Facebook: Facebook is arguably the most popular social network in the world. It’s an ideal place to post photos, personal news, life anecdotes, events, and more. Retirees can stay in touch with loved ones no matter where they live.
- Security tip: Investigate Facebook’s “Privacy Checkup” feature to control who can see your profile, photos, posts, and so on.
- Pinterest: Pinterest is a visual idea board where users can “pin” interesting photos and links that they find online, grouped into collections called “boards.” Users can follow other users, making Pinterest a great place to gather and share ideas. For example, the members of your gardening club could create inspiration boards for a vegetable garden.
- Security tip: Pinterest lets you make private boards, so you can share location-specific ideas without giving location information to the public.
- Twitter: Twitter is a popular place for news updates from friends and organizations. Follow accounts you want to keep up to date with, and share your own thoughts up to 280 characters long.
- Security tip: You can make your account private, so only people you approve can see your Twitter posts.
With all social networks, be wary of giveaways and people posing as friends to get money or personal information. In those cases, never click on a link about banking/money transfers or respond to a message until you are 100% sure. Social Media offers incredible community connection, inspiration, and entertainment; take advantage of the online world right at your fingertips!