HomeSun City InsiderReport Water Waste

Report Water Waste

Coachella Valley Water District appreciates anyone who sees and lets us know of water waste in our service area. CVWD staff investigates every report and provides technical assistance as needed.

These are examples of common water waste you might see and that you can report:

  1. Water running off of property due to misplaced landscape irrigation
  2. Broken irrigation systems causing wasted water
  3. Washing a car without a shut-off device on the hose
  4. Watering outdoor landscape within 48 hours after measurable rainfall
  5. Using water to wash driveways, patios, parking lots, tennis courts and other hard-surface areas

Reporting water waste outdoors is one way you can help save water. Here are five simple habits you can embrace to conserve water outside your home:

  1. Put a layer of mulch around trees and plants
  2. Check for leaks in outside pipes, hoses, and couplings
  3. Use a broom to clean driveways, sidewalks and steps
  4. Convert your yard into a water-efficient landscape
  5. Install a weather-based irrigation controller and visit for a free device.

Don’t forget to save water indoors, too. Here are hints:

  1. Check your toilet for leaks
  2. Take shorter showers, install water-saving showerheads or flow restrictors
  3. Turn off water while shaving or brushing your teeth
  4. Use your dishwasher and washing machines for
  5. full loads only
  6. Don’t let the faucet run while you clean vegetables

Coachella Valley Water District is a public agency governed by a five-member board of treatment and reclamation services, regional storm water protection, groundwater management and water conservation. It serves approximately 108,000 residential and business customers across 1,000 square miles, located primarily in Riverside County, but also in portions of Imperial and San Diego counties.

To report water waste fill out CVWD’s “Report Water Waste” form. Important details include the time and day you saw the waste. You can attach a photo. Find the form at or call 1-888-398-5008.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular