Citizens on Patrol (COPS) is a community-based program that enables citizen volunteers to become ambassadors of the City of Palm Desert while serving as the eyes and the ears of the Palm Desert Police Department.
COPS volunteers conduct non-confrontational patrols throughout the City deterring crime and reporting potential problems and suspicious activities to the police department.
In addition, COPS members may be assigned to provide traffic control for special events and assist the police department when needed with traffic accidents, DUI checkpoints, and programs such as “Click It or Ticket”. COPS plays a vital role for public safety in our community and further deters crime. The citizens on patrol team needs more caring members to be part of our great team!
VOLUNTEER DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Provide non-confrontational crime deterrence through high-visibility patrols
- Provide information and assistance to citizens and visitors
- Report suspicious activities or possible hazards
- Assist with collision scenes and special events
- Commitment to volunteer a minimum of 20 hours
- per month
- Ability to pass a background check conducted by
- the Police Department
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
The City provides communications equipment, training, and uniforms for COPS members. For more information or to request an application, please call the City of Palm Desert at (760) 862-9848.